I had the pleasure of attending the April 30 performance of Erica Watson’s “Fat Bitch!” The show incisively cut through the societal baggage attached to being a fat woman using humor (hilariously!) and personal anecdotes. The finale video is something I hope everyone eventually gets to see because it is a work of comedy art. [...]
I apologize for my extended absence, everyone! As usual, I’ve been dealing with personal drama so it hasn’t afforded me the time to write here. But I am over at Bitch Magazine doing the Sex and the Fat Girl column, so if you haven’t checked that out yet, please do so! Also, I got a [...]
On Facebook today, Marilyn Wann shared an article on CNN.com about the health benefits of touch. She added “If being fat makes a person ‘untouchable,’ then that’s a powerful confounding variable for claims about weight and health.” I definitely agree, and of course media don’t present fat people as worthy of physical contact particularly of [...]
Many of the ways we’ve talked about to combat dominant societal beauty standards and, in the process, boost your self-esteem/self-image, are subjective in nature. They involve presenting in a certain way to elicit the desired results: a new way of looking at fat sexuality. There’s nothing particularly wrong with subjectivity in this sense, but when [...]
I recently noticed that two commenters on my “Too Fat to F*ck” post expressed dismay at the idea of seeing ANYONE displaying sexual affection in public, not just fat people. I want to address this because that was not the point of the post. When I talk about bringing fat sexuality out in the open, [...]
In so many questions submitted to Ask a Fat Girl, I was asked how to start loving your body. I gave many suggestions, but I want to touch on something that I think is integral to truly loving your fat body—taking responsibility for it. What I mean by taking responsibility is not denying culpability in [...]
In a previous post about beauty standards/ideals, I suggested that fat women loving their bodies and viewing themselves as beautiful subverts the dominant beauty paradigm. One method of expressing your love for your body is through the action of dressing it according to your own personal style—whether you’re a full-blown fatshionista or a jeans and [...]
Fat acceptance is often associated with the redefining of beauty standards to include fatness as a representation of beauty. We fight for our bodies to be considered sexy and desirable; we challenge the dominant beauty paradigm and attempt to present an alternative. Many words have been written, by myself included, to encourage fat women to [...]
I talk a lot about lingerie, perfume, makeup etc. as ways for fat girls to feel sexy/enhance sensual feelings. These are all fine and good ways to do so—but what if your particular groove doesn’t mesh with the more “femme” style of sexiness? Not every fat girl feels hot in skimpy nightclothes or red lipstick, [...]
In real life dating, as in pop culture, fatness is often treated as something a person has to overcome in order to be considered an acceptable romantic partner. The trope of the fat girl with the “great personality” (“great personality” being a common code phrase for “ugly” or “fat”) who triumphs over dating adversity and [...]
About the Fat Girl
Tasha Fierce writes things.
- Plump Polish: Get Me All Over Your Fingers May 1, 2013
- Listen To Me Talk Sexy to You February 8, 2013
- The Only Skins You Ever Hit Was the Skins on Your Right Hand January 28, 2013
- This Motion Has Got Me Wet Like Crazy: 90s Slow Jams November 23, 2012
- The Intersection of Greatness and Race, or Why The Hell is NBC Such a Dick to Our Own Athletes? August 3, 2012
- As Fat As I Wanna Be May 8, 2010
- My Fat, Your Issues May 15, 2010
- Being Black In Washington State June 21, 2010
- When Fat Chicks Give Better Head May 23, 2011
- Killing the Muse July 28, 2010
- Katie Norris: This is a great post! Very inspiring. Have you see...
- torrencedavis: We had a conversation about this because my friend...
- @iamkingcarla (est. 1983): [...] Fierce, Sex and the Fat Girl (via [...]...
- Christine H.: I remember being a teenager and my girlfriends and...
- marybaum: After a number of years of thinking I needed three...
Follow @misstashafierce on Twitter