The time has come for me to wrap up my gig blogging about representations of fat in pop culture at Bitch Magazine, and I find myself reflecting on what I personally am taking away from the series. I went into the job with high hopes, thinking I was going to be able to really analyze [...]
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – Occupied Bodies: Women of Color Speak on Self-Image – Deadline October 15, 2010
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – Occupied Bodies: Women of Color Speak on Self-Image – Deadline October 15, 2010 I am soliciting essays for an anthology on women of color’s self-image/body image as shaped by family, friends, media, society, history, lived experiences, etc. I’m looking for smart, accessible, and snappy personal narratives that also offer nuanced analysis [...]
I’ve never been one to hold on to things. I don’t like having extraneous possessions, maybe because so many of my family members and friends are hoarder types. They keep things just because they might be useful one day; they buy things but never open them; they buy books they intend to read but just [...]
So yesterday Jezebel contacted me and asked if they could republish “As Fat As I Wanna Be”, which I posted here I think a few days ago. Here’s the Jezebel link and all the glorious comments I’m preparing to shred. There are definitely those at Jezebel who get it, who don’t miss my point, and [...]
I’m a bad fat. I can’t lie and say I do the HAES thing. I don’t exercise. The majority of what I eat is junk/fast food and I eat when I’m not really hungry. I had my gallbladder out not because I merely had gallstones but because I didn’t put the effort into avoiding foods [...]
You may be wondering why I, a fat black chick, spend time championing the cause of (mostly) rich white women who choose to have plastic surgery. It’s not because I disagree with the point that the choice to alter your body surgically can be informed by internalization of societal beauty standards. It’s also not because [...]
[This article previously appeared on the other blog I contribute to, I Fry Mine in Butter] Lately, the definition of the word “feminist” has become somewhat vague. With so many women fleeing from the term, whether because they don’t feel represented by it or because they fear its perceived negative connotations, the relevance of referring [...]
Something is lacking in the current push to include plus-size models in mainstream fashion publications (or “separate-but-equal” media outlets such as Vogue Italia’s “Vogue Curvy”). What’s lacking, specifically in the fashion establishment but less so in the satellite world of “fatshion” blogging, is representation of models/women of color. I want to speak specifically about black [...]
I want to touch on something that’s been bothering me about the new fat acceptance movement (and I say new because I and others have been talking about this shit since the 90s): conformity. Some people seem to think that being honest about their feelings regarding their body is a no-no. Part of accepting yourself [...]
About the Fat Girl
Tasha Fierce writes things.
- Plump Polish: Get Me All Over Your Fingers May 1, 2013
- Listen To Me Talk Sexy to You February 8, 2013
- The Only Skins You Ever Hit Was the Skins on Your Right Hand January 28, 2013
- This Motion Has Got Me Wet Like Crazy: 90s Slow Jams November 23, 2012
- The Intersection of Greatness and Race, or Why The Hell is NBC Such a Dick to Our Own Athletes? August 3, 2012
- As Fat As I Wanna Be May 8, 2010
- My Fat, Your Issues May 15, 2010
- Being Black In Washington State June 21, 2010
- When Fat Chicks Give Better Head May 23, 2011
- Killing the Muse July 28, 2010
- Katie Norris: This is a great post! Very inspiring. Have you see...
- torrencedavis: We had a conversation about this because my friend...
- @iamkingcarla (est. 1983): [...] Fierce, Sex and the Fat Girl (via [...]...
- Christine H.: I remember being a teenager and my girlfriends and...
- marybaum: After a number of years of thinking I needed three...
Follow @misstashafierce on Twitter